Education in Crisis
Globally, one in every six children are missing out on the opportunity to go to school. This education crisis is being exacerbated by the deadly new variant of Covid-19, especially in the marginalised areas across Nepal where we work:
- Thousands of new Covid-19 cases are now being registered every day
- Intensive care beds are completely full and oxygen supplies are extremely limited
- 10% of daily Covid-19 cases are children
- In remote areas, access to even the most basic life-saving equipment is hard to reach
- Less than a third of the population completes primary education and over 40% of girls are married before their 18th birthday.
By providing critical support at this time, UWS aims to keep children in education in the long-term, stop children being exploited for child labour and girls being forced into early marriage.
Help children in crisis
The pandemic is not only putting lives at risk, but futures too.
Right now, in response to this deadly Covid-19 variant, each UWS school is providing a lifeline to hundreds of people. We are:
- transforming schools into Covid Isolation Centres
- providing hand-washing
facilities to communities through our schools
- working with partners to provide PPE and healthcare essentials
- training teachers in emergency Covid response
- raising awareness of Covid-19 and ways to stop the spread
in remote areas
- supporting hundreds of at-risk girls
and their families with food and essentials to protect against child marriage and exploitation
- keeping education alive through remote learning
To keep children learning when schools are closed across Nepal, we have implemented remote learning using radio lessons and take-away education packs for over 42,000 children.
Happily Ever Smarter
As well as focusing on the immediate needs of the communities we already support at this difficult time, we are also working to reach new unreached communities with education for the very first time.
In the long term, through building schools and investing in local communities, we will give thousands more primary-school-age children the chance to go to school for the first time in their lives. We will train local teachers, empower students and parents and partner with regional and national governments to make sure children can go to school and learn.
We will provide ongoing support until every school is self-sustaining, empowering the local government and community to maintain the school for years to come. Each school will continue to provide a life-changing education for future generations.
Education helps children live Happily Ever Smarter; it breaks the cycle of poverty, empowers entire communities and gives children the opportunity to create their own brighter and more secure futures.
It has never been more crucial to support children in marginalised communities and help them live Happily Ever Smarter - and thanks to the UK government, you can make double the difference by donating before 29th July 2021!
Just £10 could provide a child from a remote area of Nepal with a radio to keep them learning through radio lessons… and doubled, we could give a radio to a second child!