United World Schools is looking for an ambitious undergraduate or graduate wanting to gain experience in international development and the charity sector. The internship will run for three months and will provide the opportunity to work closely with the fundraising team as we work towards our ambitious goal of enrolling 50,000 children into school.
United World Schools is a growing charity that provides education to children in remote and marginalised communities across Cambodia, Myanmar and Nepal. We work in areas where children would otherwise be unable to access a quality education; we teach the unreached. Since 2008 we have enrolled over 18,000 children in our schools, and we are on track to reach 50,000 children over the next few years.
The successful applicant would join our small central team, working closely with the fundraising team on a number of high-impact projects involving donor communications, events planning and the launch of our new website. The Development Intern will also be responsible for coordinating and executing the charity’s social media strategy, and working across key communications channels including our blog and newsletter.
The role is a part-time internship (3-4 days/week) which would include, but not be confined to:
- Communication with our major donors through a variety of channels, including formal reporting and email updates.
- Applying and reporting to Trusts and Foundations to secure vital funding for our schools.
- Researching potential funders to grow our supporter base.
- Content creation for the UWS website and blog.
- Social media support across Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Supporting coordination of two major events – a celebratory drinks event and a Gala Dinner.
- General administrative support across all UWS teams.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for a bright and ambitious undergraduate or graduate, keen to gain experience in the non-profit sector, specifically with an interest in developing media and communications skills. Above all, we are looking for someone who is passionate about education and understands the impact it has on the lives and opportunities of children around the world.
- Be a university undergraduate or graduate.
- Have a high standard of written and verbal English.
- Be a self-starter and highly motivated.
- Be adept at using a range of media and communication platforms.
- Be versatile, happy to juggle multiple tasks and priorities.
- Be comfortable working in small teams or on their own.
- Have an interest in pursuing a career in the charity and / or development sectors.
Location: Central London Office (Vauxhall)
Salary: £70 per full day spent in the office
Start Date: Monday 18th June 2018
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter (no more than 1 side) to:
Closing date for applications: Friday 25th May 2018
Interviews: w/c 4th June 2018
UWS is an equal opportunities employer. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we will only be able to respond to successful candidates.
Download as PDF